Friday, August 29, 2008

As of this morning I'm halfway done with Hallelujah Blackout by Alex Lemon. I'm trying to decide whether to call it after five innings on account of not caring. I was just never into it from the beginning, and I really don't feel like reading any more of it. But if I stop now, do I count it as "finished" (as far as my ten-book pledge is concerned)? I want to say yes. I mean, I'm past the halfway point. If it's good enough for baseball.... There's a difference between not finishing a book because you're lazy (this is what I'm trying to defeat with the ten-book pledge), and not finishing a book because you really would rather not be reading it. Yes. There, I think I've successfully talked myself into a workable rationalization.

One down, nine to go.

If anybody in New York wants a free copy of Hallelujah Blackout by Alex Lemon, you now know where to find one.

3 comments:

  1. The way I see it is there are too many good books to read and if I'm 40 pages through a novel or halfway through a book of poetry and I'm just not moved, there's not point in wasting my time. Has nothing to do with laziness, it has to do with wanting to be inside the good stuff, all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. However, my problem is that I'm laziest with the books that I like the best. I guess I don't want them to end or something. Or maybe it's that I feel more fired up about reading ungood books because it gives me an ego boost--"Dude, I could totally write this"--which makes me want to roll up my sleeves and write something better. The thought of reading a book I like is sometimes almost too pleasant to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What this is really about is that I'm trying to discourage myself from impulse purchases. I'm trying to make myself "clean my plate". Like making someone smoke so many cigarettes in a row that they don't want to smoke anymore.

    ReplyDelete