Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I am now the most senior member of my household.  What I mean is that for the first time, I have lived in this apartment longer than all of the other roommates.  Two changes in the past week—at the end of August I was third out of five, and now I am captain.  I've only lived here 14 months and already I've ascended to the realm of highest authority.  This also marks the first time we've had more than one woman roommate at the same time.  3-2 is a good ratio, no matter which gender is in the majority.  It's the closest you can have to a 50-50 male/female ratio with an odd number of people.  (Well, okay, 5-4 would be closer to 50-50, and 13-12 would be closer still, but you know what I mean.)

5 comments:

  1. Yep. A rare 5-bedroom apartment. No living room, so it's kind of like dorm living.

    So it's four other people at any given time, but with the high turnover rate, I've lived with 11 different people since I moved in. (12 if you count one guy's girlfriend, a frequent overnight guest.) It's the real Real World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you write in that kind of situation??? where do you go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a lot of writing on the train, at work, coffeeshops, park benches... but writing in my apartment isn't bad either--we pretty much stay out of each other's hair, and there's rarely any noise problems. My biggest enemy here is the large black rectangular appliance to my right, next to the computer. I'm watching Bones right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can find a hermaphrodite, then your ratio problem will be solved.

    ReplyDelete