Monday, October 27, 2008

It seems that the only way a date can work is if the girl is a natural conversationalist. One of those people who, if you didn't interrupt them occasionally, would be able to talk and talk without end. Like they have an endless stream of subject matter they can tap into at any moment. Or like dropping the needle on a spinning record. I'm the opposite. I will sit there for a whole minute, two minutes, three minutes, unable to think of a single thing to say. Same thing happens in job interviews. You're supposed to ask questions. I can never think of any. At all. Same was true in school. A professor once asked me why I didn't speak in class. I could never think of anything to say. I can't speak extemporaneously. That's why I hate talking on the phone too. I absolutely hate it. I don't know what I would have done before e-mail. I simply don't know how to generate enough enthusiasm for any given subject to the point that it would occur to me to bring that subject up in conversation. There's very little I enjoy talking about. Ingrid Bergman said something like, a kiss is what happens when words become superfluous. I kind of feel like they're superfluous from the get-go. I want to just skip ahead to the making out. Things seem to start going a lot smoother from that point anyway. I just wish it were socially acceptable to point that out the moment we say Hello.

4 comments:

  1. Question 1: Hubris.
    Question 2: Because it is intriguing to watch such hubris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops!

    Sorry your comment doesn't match the post--I didn't mean to pull a switcheroo. But thanks. And I agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to clarify for my vast array of loyal readers: the above comments refer to an unrelated post which no longer exists, and have nothing to do with my dating anxieties. Not intentionally, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i will leave a comment that is related to your dating anxieties, and say that i too have trouble coming up with questions in interviews, and i'm a pretty natural conversationalist. however, i damn still well would love it if an attractive guy opened any convo with "hello, you're pretty, let's make out." (i added the compliment, makes things nicer, and mildly less creepy)

    ReplyDelete