Q's from The Best American Poetry Blog
1. What poet should be in Obama’s cabinet, and in what role?
I don't know.
2. If you could send Obama one poem or book of poems (not your own), what would it be and why?
I don't know.
3. What other poetry-related blog or website should I check out?
4. Who is the most exciting young/new poet I’ve never heard of, but whose work I ought to find and read?
Is it lunch yet?
5. What’s the funniest poem you’ve read lately? What was the last poem that made you cry?
I need to buy some pants.
6. William or Dorothy? Robert or Elizabeth Barrett? Moore or Bishop? Dunbar or Cullen? “Poetry must resist the intelligence almost successfully” or “No ideas but in things”? Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas or Tender Buttons?
They all have holes in the butt or front pocket area.
7. Robert Lowell wrote a poem called “Falling Asleep Over the Aeneid.” What supposedly immortal poem puts you to sleep?
I wonder if I should wait to see if I get pants for Christmas.
8. Even for poetry books, the contract has a provision for movie rights. What poetry book should they make into a movie? Who should direct it, and why? Who should star in it?
Yeah, I think I'll wait to see if I get any pants for Christmas.
9. What lines from a poem you first read years ago still haunt you now?
If I don't, that's ok. I can buy cheap pants at K-mart after Christmas.
10. What poem do you love, love, love, but don’t understand?
Is this over yet?
11. If the official organ of the AWP were not the Chronicle but were the Enquirer, what would some of the headlines be?
Why am I doing this?
12. If you were making a scandal rag for poetry in the grocery store checkout stands, what fictitious poetry love triangle would you make up to outsell that tired Hollywood story of Angelina and Brad and Jen?
I mean, seriously, what possessed me?
13. This is the Best American Poetry blog. What’s the best non-American poetry you’ve read lately?
I don't know.
14. We read poems in journals and books, we hear them in readings and on audio files. Sometimes we get them in unusual ways: on buses or in subway cars. How would you like to encounter your next poem?
Maybe I'll go to Burger King today.
15. What poem would you like to hear the main character bust out singing in a Bollywood film? What would be the name of the movie? What would be the scene in which it was sung?
Last time, I got sick after, but
16. Do you have a (clean) joke involving poetry you’d like to share?
that doesn't happen every time, so I think I'll chance it.
17. Tell the truth: is it a poetry book you keep in the john, or some other genre (john-re)?
I like the chicken tenders.
18. Can you name every teacher you had in elementary school? Did any of them make you memorize a poem? What poem(s)?
They took them off the menu for awhile.
19. If you got to choose the next U.S. Poet Laureate, who (excluding of course the obvious candidates, you and me) would it be? Of former U.S. Poet Laureates, who did such a great job that he/she should get a second term? Next election cycle, what poet should run for President? Why her or him?
But then they brought them back.
20. Insert your own question here.
Sometimes I get the TenderGrill.