Thursday, January 15, 2009

Arvo Pärt – Fratres



That's Vadim Repin on the...umm...violin? viola? bagpipes? It's one of those. Anyway, that's Nikolai Lugansky on piano.

This music came up on one of my Pandora stations the other day. I didn't realize till tonight that it was used in my favorite movie of the past couple years, There Will Be Blood. Duh. Of course it was. So good. When I was watching the movie it never occurred to me that the music wasn't all by the same composer. The original score is by Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead.   

2 comments:

  1. Tried to listen to this music late last night, but the sound on my computer was set too low. Raised it some this morning. It is still a bit too low, but better.

    Last month I think--not sure what date--I placed links to 4 music videos on a post in my Rho--. The fourth one was of Radiohead playing "Creep" and the vocalist reminded me of the vocalist in "Drive" by The Cars. Your information moved me to find out more about Radiohead.

    This music by Arvo Pärt/Jonny Greenwood is fractured and tonally wide-ranging, yet has a meditative quality.

    -
    Perhaps it is just what my eyes have gotten used to, but I tend to favor two spaces between sentences.
    -

    Thank you,
    b a j s

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Wikipedia: "Structurally, Fratres consists of a set of nine chord sequences, separated by a recurring percussion motif. The chord sequences themselves follow a clear pattern, and while the progressing chords explore a rich harmonic space, they nevertheless appear to have been generated by means of a simple mathematical formula."

    ReplyDelete