Saturday, March 7, 2009

I am currently reading everything. This includes Eeeee Eee Eeee, by Tao Lin.

I might, might, have started reading this because it's trendy.

I have definitely, definitely, continued reading it because it's knocking my socks off. Look at them. Look at my socks. All the way over there, on the other side of the room.

I think I might start putting some of my Goodreads reviews on here. None of them are very substantive, but what they lack in substance they make up for in shallowness.

Here is my Goodreads review of Eeeee Eee Eeee:

My copy is missing pp. 33-64. Pages 153-184 are duplicated where 33-64 should be. I need to get a new copy. 

Always, always, always check to make sure a book's pages are all there and in order before you buy it.

This happened six years ago when I read White Teeth by Zadie Smith. Since then I have never been able to turn a page in a book without checking the page numbers to make sure that the page I'm turning to is the correct number.

Since it's been more than 30 days since I bought this, I can't return it for a refund. I wonder if they'll exchange it for the same item if I show them the error. Even if they won't do that, I might just give it back to them so that they can check to make sure their other copies don't have the same problem. That would be a considerate act and I think I would feel good about it.

UPDATE 3/7/09

After a brief interruption I have resumed reading Eeeee Eee Eeee. I acquired my new and correctly paginated copy via the American Express® ThankYou Rewards program, wherein 'points' accrued over time through the use of my Citi Amex card may be redeemed for merchandise. I redeemed 2500 points (just over half my total points) to acquire Eeeee Eee Eeee.

And I'm very happy to report that it's as good as people say it is and better than other people say it is.

I am very excited to be reading two 'experimental' novels at the same time. The other one is The Red Robins by Kenneth Koch. Of course I'm still reading Tristram Shandy and Gravity's Rainbow if you want to count those. Is Infinite Jest 'experimental'? Is Infinite Jest called 'experimental'? Either way, I'm reading that too.

Much love for all the above.

But back to Eeeee Eee Eeee. Stay tuned. I mean, read it. Forget my review. Forget all reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment