Monday, September 14, 2009

Just finished watching Synecdoche, New York. I think I wasn't as blown away by it as I expected to be, considering how blown away I was by Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Adaptation, and Being John Malkovich. It's very sad, hard to follow, more serious and quiet than his previous movies. I'll probably see it again, but probably not soon. I was probably expecting something else, which isn't the movie's fault. Knowing what it is going in, I might like it better next time. You know what it's like when you nod off during a movie (any movie) and each time you snap back awake you can't quite figure out what's going on in the movie, the movie seems to be pulling away from you, unaware that it's being watched by you? That's kind of how I felt watching this, and I was wide awake the whole time. That kind of thing happens in David Lynch movies. That's fine. Maybe you just have to be in the right mood. I'm listening to Steve Reich right now. One of my roommates got taken away, I assume to the hospital, tonight by like six cops who came to check on him after someone sent them to check on him. I was watching the series finale of King of the Hill. I didn't answer the door when the police knocked because I pretty much never answer the door. I'm paranoid. My fear of the sound of someone knocking on my door borders on a phobia. If I knew it was the police, sure, I would open the door, but all I heard was loud, seemingly angry but of course merely prudently forceful knocking. Anyway one of my other roommates answered the door. A little later they had my sick roommate out on the landing, where I think some EMTs also were. Then they all left. Now I'm listening to Steve Reich because one of my other roommates who wasn't here for the excitement and still hasn't been told about it just got home with his girlfriend, and I'm listening to Steve Reich on headphones because I don't want to have to listen to my roommate's girlfriend have sex with my rooommate, as they do several nights a week, causing me to feel many complicated and unwanted thoughts. I did laundry today. I thought about cleaning the bathroom but then the excitement happened, and I guess I changed my mind. I will do it tomorrow. We need some cleaning supplies though. Lysol and something for the clogged tub drain. That Liquid Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake thing worked in the tub at my old apartment. It's never worked for me in a sink but hopefully it will work in the tub. The sink is doing okay for now. If I can fix the tub I won't feel bad about not doing anything about the sink when the time eventually comes, which it will. I think I was disappointed when Catherine Keener disappeared from the movie. Love her. Reminds me of Kim Deal. The Colts won today. The women's final was on ESPN2. The Deuce. I don't even get the original, and even if I had cable I still wouldn't get the original, since Time Warner for some reason doesn't carry it here. I guess I'll watch COPS now. At least I got something done today (laundry). Seems weird to italicize COPS.

2 comments: