Thursday, January 7, 2010

YES

Jonathan Ball, at Lemon Hound:
"The purpose of a review is to describe the book. There is a tradition of reviews
being evaluative, but I don’t feel that this is their true purpose. My basic
complaint about reviews in general is that they are too concerned with
evaluating books rather than describing them."

Yes!
"I can’t stand reading reviews that offer only, or mostly, the reviewer’s
opinion. Why should I care about a reviewer’s opinion? I’m reading to learn
about a book. Tell me about the book. I don’t care about you. I care about the
book. Just like you don’t care about me, you care about the book I’m reviewing."

Yes!

Read the whole thing.

4 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled you agree that nobody cares about me! And glad you liked the interview piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. objectivity is a myth
    so, you don't have to care about an opinion but it will be there nonetheless

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both of these quotes a lot. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. quite welcome, matt.

    also, doug, maybe objectivity is a myth, but maybe "objectivity is a myth" is a myth itself sort of...?

    ReplyDelete