Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Laura (Riding) Jackson wrote this:


THE POETS' CORNER


Soldierly at last, for the lines
Go marching on.
And happily may they rest beyond
Suspicion now, the incomprehensibles—
It was mere loveliness.
And loveliness?
Death has an understanding of it
Loyal to many flags.


*****

Thanks to Elisa's posts about ideas, I keep thinking about ideas. Can I abbreviate Laura (Riding) Jackson as L(R)J? I think I will. I don't know if this is done. It is now. Her poems are cool because they have ideas, but you don't know what they are. But they sound so solid and deliberate and smooth, you believe it, even if you don't know what you're believing. I don't get her poems, but I get them.

So, that poem above. What about it?

3 comments:

  1. That's one of them poems that wouldn't make any sense if it weren't for the title, which allows you to read "lines" as poetic lines. I s'pose it's an ars poetica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, that's the only thing that seems clear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appropriately enough, it seems to be making a case against clarity.

    ReplyDelete