Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Let me ask you this...


What are your thoughts on open relationships/marriages? I asked this on Twitter a few days ago but no one seems to have noticed. I come from the Whatever Works school of relationship philosophy, so yeah, open marriage? I'm all for it, if it works for you. I'm just curious about what some of you might think. Are you in an open relationship? Do you know anyone who is? Do you think they're seen as "abnormal"? Do you, or would you, see them that way? I mean, how much of a taboo is it in the year 2010? Do you think people in open marriages are looked at with the same kind of fascination/judgment with which people view polygamy?

5 comments:

  1. I am in an open marraige and I LOVE it. I am learning so many new things from the variety of people whom I love. My husband and I had been married 13 years and we switched at year 11. We were monogamous for 11 years. I have told the story on my blog if you'd like to check it out! http://jujumamablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sometimes seems to me like gay marriage won't be legal until everyone born before 1965 is dead. As for open marriage, after all five boroughs of New York are underwater, it could be a remote possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, i don't think there's anything illegal about it...do you just mean it'll take longer for it to be accepted by mainstream society?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. My point was that American society is having a hard enough time accepting gay marriage--love between two people of whatever gender. Love between 2+ people of whatever gender will take a long time to be codified, or revered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes love isn't involved between the married person and the extra partner(s), and often it's not even a long term thing. but i see your point.

    ReplyDelete