Thursday, July 7, 2011


I can only learn things out of necessity. I can't sit down and read an instruction book. Yesterday I finally got around to figuring out how to use a faster shutter speed in low light. Before, I had been content to get whatever good shots I could using all automatic settings. But then I started to get bored taking the same kinds of pictures all the time, namely, people standing still. It dawned on me that I can use the shutter speed priority mode and use the speed I choose, letting the camera take care of the aperture and ISO. (I also figured out ISO a little bit yesterday.) It's just a matter of time before I can use full manual mode and keep track of every function myself. (Luckily I figured out white balance last year. That was a life-changer.)

This picture has an exposure of 1/200, which is not that fast but a lot faster than what it would have been on the auto setting, maybe 1/40. True, they're standing almost still, but they're a lot more crisp than they would have been. Not bad for 7:45 p.m. in the shade. Suddenly my photographic vocabulary is expanded immensely. Today at lunch it was sunny and I experimented with exposures between 1/1000 and 1/2000, with great results. I don't even necessarily have to stand still anymore when I'm taking the picture, which will enable me to "hide" better.

No comments:

Post a Comment