Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mitfords and more


A couple months ago I bought the above book on impulse, having never heard of the author or her family. It was so good I immediately wanted to learn more, so I read this:


I read the above book in 20 days. It's over 500 pages long. This pace is completely unheard of for me. I couldn't get enough, so before I even finished the above I started on Nancy's books, the two that made her a literary star:


I'm in the middle of Love in a Cold Climate, which is a sequel to The Pursuit of Love. Very funny and enjoyable. All this British stuff made me want more British stuff, so I Netflixed the classic Brideshead Revisited miniseries. It's one of the best miniseries I've ever seen. Very beautiful and sad. I haven't read Waugh but now I want to read all of him. He was a friend of Nancy's and also makes a brief appearance in Jessica's memoir.

This is a good year for living in the past. I would like to live there mentally for this year if you don't mind. Maybe I'll continue doing so next year. I'm not concerned with the future though. The future is full of news and nothing but. That's how it feels to me when I think of it anyway. Other people can worry about the news. Worrying about the news would not be healthy or productive for me, so this is what I'll do: I'll read about the past and learn things, and this way I will feel fine about not paying too much attention to present reality. I think this is a good plan. I've really gotten more into reading in recent months. Nonfiction, which I never used to read much of, has proven especially satisfying. I finish nonfiction books much faster than novels. It's interesting to think about why. "Real events" seem more urgent, I guess. You want to know what happens next because it doesn't just happen next, it actually happened next! Anyway, if you'd like to follow my lead, why not start with the very books I've mentioned? Can't hurt, I promise.

7 comments:

  1. The first 2/3 of A Handful of Dust are delightful.

    Did you ever finish Howards End?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't, but it's still on my "currently reading" shelf, so I'm sure I'll get around to it.

    I think you'd dig the Mitfords, btw. Much delight to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Matt! I was perusing blogs on blogger today and happened upon yours. May I follow your blog? Feel free to follow mine as well. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do want to read the Mitfords.

    Beautiful portraits of Adam and Dottie by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you:) i would have got one of melissa broder there too but she eluded my lens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where was it? Really really good shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. book party for melissa's and dan magers's new books at cake shop. (it was too dark in the basement to shoot the reading well.)

    ReplyDelete