Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My five favorite books of 2013 so far


I've finished 26 books in 2013. I'm on pace to finish 62 by the end of the year. Here are my favorite five so far, in alphabetical order by author.


Shadow Train by John Ashbery

I finally found this one at the Strand. It's one of the few books of his that I didn't have. Every poem has four stanzas with four lines each.


The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon

I found this one at a really cool and messy store in Chicago.


The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

This is the first book about baseball I've read in a long time, probably since I was a kid. It also involved Herman Melville and references to Moby-Dick, which is why I'm now reading Moby-Dick (which will probably end up being my #1 book this year).


The Enchantment of Lily Dahl by Siri Hustvedt

Very suspenseful, vivid, and mysterious.


Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

I didn't expect to like this because it's such a bestseller, so this was a nice surprise. It made me think about wanting to get into hiking. Not necessarily the same trail, but maybe the Appalachian Trail, which I've thought about from time to time. Maybe as a long-term life goal. I'd have to learn a lot about the outdoors first. I've never even been camping, or even slept outdoors.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Wild is pretty good, right? It's not "my kind of book" but I read it really fast. I like the part where she gets interviewed about being a hobo.

    The only other one I've read is the Chabon, which was fine but forgettable in a first novel kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was glad the book was mostly about the hike itself. I can't imagine what I would do if I was walking along and all of a sudden there was a BEAR standing in front of me.

    I think my reading theme for this year is going to be tales of Adventure. Today I started Original Letters from India by Eliza Fay, a book that was championed by E.M. Forster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Moby-Dick last year ... it looks like I need to read Art of Fielding and catch up with the rest of the literate world. Pluses for me: the author is gay and from Wisconsin. Minus: baseball.

    ReplyDelete