Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Five of the best books I've read this year


Here are some more favorite books I've finished recently.


Cassandra at the Wedding by Dorothy Baker

This is another NYRB Classic from my favorite period of American fiction, the mid-20th century. It's about a pair of identical twin sisters, one of whom is getting married and the other is coming to try and prevent the marriage.

The Angel Esmeralda by Don DeLillo

This is DeLillo's first collection of short stories, though it spans several decades and just came out a couple years ago. It reminded me how good he is and inspired me to read the rest of his books. I'd already read White Noise and The Body Artist, and I just started Underworld.

Life Itself by Roger Ebert

Highly recommended for people who don't know much about Ebert and might have nothing more than a false and superficial idea of him as a critic and writer. It was especially interesting to read about his childhood in Urbana, IL, not far from my hometown.

Drinking with Men by Rosie Schaap

A great memoir about the author's love of bars and bar culture, with each chapter dedicated to a specific bar she frequented at one time in her life.

Seven Days in the Art World by Sarah Thornton

A great introduction to the behind-the-scenes workings of the art world for people, like me, who don't know much about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment